How is AI used in the marketing industry, what is Chat GPT and should marketers be using AI platforms for content? The time has come when AI softwares are becoming more valuable in the world of tech and marketing, offering businesses speedy results, in-depth research and a modern edge. Platforms such as Chat GPT can be highly valuable for content producers and writers but what effect will this have on SEO and is it really as beneficial as it seems?
What is artificial intelligence?
Artificial intelligence, or AI for short, refers to computers or machines mimicking/performing tasks that humans would typically carry out. These tasks include learning, problem-solving, decision making and languages. AI comes in a number of different forms and applications ranging from simple algorithms to more complex operations such as self-driving cars.
For more of an in-depth understanding, have a read through our blog on what actually is ai and how does it work?
How is AI used in digital marketing?
Artificial intelligence is used in a wide range of industries across the globe, but the digital marketing world is constantly finding new and innovative ways to utilise these functions. Some common ways in which AI is used in digital marketing include:
- Analysis: AI has the ability to gather and analyse data, predicting customer behaviours and insights.
- Personalisation: Used to tailor marketing materials and content, AI can edit or produce messages which target individual interests, behaviour and demographics.
- Content marketing: AI softwares can help to produce relevant and creative content for marketing campaigns, email, social media or web pages.
- Chatbots: Chatbots are used to communicate with customers in real time, offering efficient customer service and improving user experience.
- Cyber security: Artificial intelligence can help to detect fraudulent activity on digital marketing platforms whilst also implementing security measures and safety precautions.
- Ad targeting: Optimises ad targeting by identifying the most relevant and valuable audiences.
What is Chat GPT?
Chat GTP, short for Generative pre-trained transformer, is a form of language and learning model trained on a large data set of text and can generate human-like text based on a question or context. The “Chat” part of the name refers to the model’s ability to generate conversational text, such as responses to prompts or questions.
Should we be using AI to write content?
Artificial intelligence can be a useful tool for generating content, specifically tasks which may be repetitive or costly in terms of time. However, it is also important to remember that AI-generated content may lack the quality humans can deliver as these systems tend to lack depth, creativity and originality. Many marketers and business owners are beginning to look into AI for written work or work that they want to limit and simplify. Many marketers also avoid AI due to SEO as it can have a significant impact on areas such as keywords and quality.
Benefits of using AI for written content
There are several benefits when it comes to using artificial intelligence for written content. From saving time to staying on top of competitors, AI has proven to benefit many businesses and agencies.
- Efficiency: One of the biggest benefits of AI is the time and effort saved. Taking away human responsibility and the need to research and plan, AI systems such as Chat GPT allows workers to complete simple tasks and prioritise more creative, strategic work.
- Consistency: Using the same AI systems will mean you will have consistency in content in terms of tone, language use, style and format which can be particularly useful for large cooperations with a number of content creators.
- Customisation: AI has the ability to customise content for different audiences and purposes, proving especially useful for generating emails and product recommendations.
- Cost-effective: As these systems and processes will likely take away the need for human activity, this means companies will save money in terms of recruitment and the hiring process. As a task can be done so quickly, it can easily be added to an existing employee’s tasks.
- Scalability: Artificial intelligence has the ability to quickly generate large amounts of content, without wasting time or resources.
- Competitive edge: Depending on your industry, investing and utilising AI could be a great way to get ahead of competitors and bring a unique touch to your corporation. With all the benefits listed in mind, this puts you in a good position in terms of business and success.
Drawbacks of using artificial intelligence for written content
Though there are a number of advantages of using AI, there are also potential negatives ranging from the quality of work to the ethical perspective.
- Quality: AI generated-content may not always be on the same level of quality compared to that created by humans. That’s because the data and text produced will lack imagination and creativeness that only the human brain can deliver.
- Dependency: All AI systems will rely heavily on technology, meaning there could be a number of issues and malfunctions which disrupt work.
- Ethical concerns: There are a few ethical concerns which come with the use of artificial intelligence. Firstly, these models and systems reduce the need for human work and could face low employment as a result. AI content can also be seen as deceptive or misleading as it mimics human writing.
- Legal: When using AI for written content, businesses should be mindful of legal issues such as copyright or defamation.